m12: Malcolm F. Miles: 'Society as a work of art?'

montagslecture/mondaylecture:
Vortrags- und Gesprächsreihe (in engl. Sprache) des MFA-Program der Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, Fak. Gestaltung, Prof. Liz Bachhuber (Kontakt Kerstin Stakemeier, Künstlerische Mitarbeiterin MFA Public Art and New Artistic Strategies, Fakultät Gestaltung)
Veranstaltung in Zusammenarbeit mit dem ACC Weimar (Kontakt Barbara Rauch)
Vortrag und Gespräch (in engl. Sprache) Referent: Malcolm F. Miles, University of Plymouth (Reader in Art & Design, School of Art & Performance)

Mittwoch, 12.10.2005, 20:00 Uhr, ACC
Eintritt: frei!

"Society as a work of art?" In his paper to the Dialectics of Liberation Congress in London, in July 1967, Herbert Marcuse used the phrase "society as a work of art". A few days previously, at the Free University Berlin, he lectured on the end of Utopia: that is, on the possibility that technological change allowed an ending of the economic problem of scarcity and a liberation of human society. He was asked how this happens, and admitted he did not know. His work over the following years is a response, in effect, to that difficulty. The talk asks two inter-connected questions:

1. What did Marcuse mean by society as a work of art? What art would we call on to exemplify this? In a society which is a work of art is there a place for art (as such, any more)? How would we view contemporary radical cultural practices in this context? 2. How do we exit the difficulty that freedom is only a dream, never realised? Does art contribute? Is freedom imminent (but soon to come is not now) or immanent (pervasive, all around us)?

The speaker distrusts answers, and will attempt to enter a discussion within the axis of creative tension of certain dualities: time/space; social/aesthetic; freedom/unfreedom.

Dr. Malcolm F. Miles, University of Plymouth (Reader in Art & Design, School of Art & Performance): "My primary role is to carry out research and originate material for publication. To date, I have 3 authored books, 1 co-authored book, and 2 major edited books; I am currently working on Cities & Cultures (Routledgew 2006), a critical introduction to urbanism and culture for undergraduates; and on Building Hope (Routledge 2007), following research on alternative settlements, intentional communities and everyday utopianism. My secondary role is to contribute to the building of a research culture in the field of Art & Design (RAE unit 64) by, specifically, coordinating the Faculty of Arts research student training programme; organising research seminars; coordinating the Critical Spaces research group; and as a member of the Faculty of Arts Research Committee and Postgraduaste Committee, currently chairing a vworking group on research methods provision for doctoral students. I am also a member of the University Acdemic Board." (aus: http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/pages/dynamic)