m98: TODAY: PRIVATE PARTY

Monday Night Lectures:

Eine Zusammenarbeit des Master of Fine Arts Programms der Bauhaus-Universität Weimar mit dem ACC.

Vortrag in englischer Sprache.

Kontakt: Lisa Glauer und Nadin Rescke, Künstlerische Mitarbeiterinnen MFA Public Art and New Artistic Strategies, Fakultät Gestaltung

Katerina Šedá, Brno (CZ)
Eine Vortrags- und Gesprächsreihe zur Kunst im öffentlichen Raum und zu neuen künstlerischen Strategien.

High fences on 11.1.
High fences on 11.1.

"I only work with what really bothers me - I don't know any better reason. I often feel alone, even though I have a great family. My parents are getting old - my father has recently lost his zest for life and frequently just lies in front of the television. I'm worried that he got this from my grandmother, who spent much of the last ten years of her life just lying on the couch. I used an effective activity to pull her out of her lethargy, but I really don't know what to do with my father. My mum always wants to do something, but she doesn't have anyone to do it with. Our next-door neighbours moved away and didn't even stop by to say goodbye. The new owner of the garden across the way selfishly fenced in the shared path. Why have most of the people in the town built such high fences so that nobody can see them? And what am I to do with the dog that began to pine for my grandmother when she passed away last year? These things envelop me and it seems cowardly to run away from them. I keep seeing before me the sign that I'd often put out in front of the corner pub when I was a child and which in my view perfectly captures the present atmosphere - "TODAY: PRIVATE PARTY". Yes, the fence around our country is gone, but I'm convinced that it didn't disappear: the people just divided it up amongst themselves. We're once again closed in - not altogether, but each separately."

The lecture examines how power is enacted on the body in the globalized present, rendering it docile, anonymous, punished and ordered.

Montag, 11.01.2010, 19:00 Uhr, ACC Galerie Weimar
Eintritt: frei!